At Blogging ‘Bout Boys this week, Jennifer Fink teaches a lesson in appreciation and then applies it to herself, listing 10 things she likes about her boys. I like that. And during those stir crazy summer days there are likely to be times when I’ll need to refer to such a list. So here’s mine.
10 Things I Like About My Kids
1. They are playful and give me reasons to be. There is great joy in bubbles and bike rides even in your 30s.
2. They are adventurous and brave. “You want to climb that mountain? Do I think rattlesnakes will be a problem?”
3. They are a great excuse to make chocolate chip cookies or brownies or snow cones or smoothies.
4. They take very good care of each other. I think I heard this phrase five times yesterday, “Oooh, are you OK?
5. They inspire me to be better and do better.
6. Because of them I have holes in my jeans that I didn’t have to pay designer prices for.
7. They love beans and rice with red chile for dinner.
8. They introduce me to great books: Skippyjon Jones, American Girl Mysteries, A Long Way From Chicago.
9. They love the books I loved as a kid: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Hop on Pop, Little House on the Prairie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
10. They make me feel every emotion — from tender love to fiery anger — intensely. They make me feel alive.
What do you like about the kids in your life?
Photo credit: Oswaldo Ordóñez (flickr.com)